All the most important festivals and events of Corfu have religious connotations.
Orthodox religion (almost all the population) and Christianity (only 4% of the population) form the basis of Corfiots' culture and the major holidays are associated with the worship of Christ or the commemoration of the Patron.
FESTIVALS AND EVENTS
The town festivals and the holy days are numerous in Corfu island.
Down here you will see the dates of the most important summer festivals.
- Beginning of May: Orthodox Easter, so beautiful to be famous in all Greece
- First Friday after Easter: town festival in Paleokastritsa
- 8 May and 15 August: festival in Kassiopi with the celebration of the Virgin
- 9 June: festivals in Alikes of Potamo, Petalia, Zigo, Potamo
- 12 June: St. Onofrio's Day celebration in Pelekas
- 24 June: Festival of the Holy Spirit, town festivals in Kontokali, Stavro,Arghirades, Kastellani of Mesi, Antiperni and Othoni
- 29 June: Saints Peter and Paul. Festivals in Kombitsi, Stronghili and Vitalades.
- In the main town of Paxos island (Gaios) there are great celebrations in honor of Saint Gaios
- 2 July: Madonna of Vlacherena. Procession in Garitsa. Festivals in Garitsa,Acharavi, Kamara and Fontana on Paxos island
- 8 July: Celebration of Saint Prokopios with relative festivals in the villages ofKavos, Lefkimnis and Aghios Prokopios
- 13 July: Festival in Saint Rocco square in honor of S. Spyridonas
- 17 July: St. Marina. Festivals in Benitses, Spartera, Avliotes
- 20 July: Festival of Elia Prophet in Magoulades
- 6 August: Church festival held in commemoration of the Transfiguration of Jesusin Pontikonisi, Perivoli, Strinilia, Evropuli, Paleochori, A. Deka and AghiosMattheos with many days of pilgrimage (1-6 August) on the top of Pantokratoras mountain
- 11 August, first Sunday of November, Palm Sunday and Holy Saturday:Inthese four days the relics of the Saint are carried in procession along the streetsof the city where the festival is being celebrated, accompanied by the mostimportant musical bands of the island.
- 16 August: Three days of celebrations in Kato Garuna
- 23 August: Festival of the Virgin Odighitria in the villages of Gastouri, Pelekasand Aghii Deka
- 8 September: Town festival in Afra, Marathia, Aghio Marko, Potami of Lefkimmiand Sinarades.
- 14 September: feast of the Cross in the monastery of Saint Ioanni in Sidari.
- 24 September: " Mirtidiotissa". Festival in Vato.
- 26 September: St. James theologian. Festivals in Karussades and Remunda.